Using the Extech VPC300 – Particle Counter Considerations
Particle pollution is a mixture of various components including smoke, dust, chemicals, mold, and gases. Particle concentrations can affect our health and comfort levels. Evaluating the quality of the air by determining the concentration and size of these particles can help to determine if a problem exists.
Locating the source of these various particles can help to determine effective methods of reducing these and improving the Indoor Air Quality (IAQ). One way to determine the source of air particulates in a room is to test the air outside of the room under investigation. Determine the concentration and size of particulates at the air intake to that room.
Purge or Zero the particle counter and then measure the concentration and size of particles in multiple areas of the room to be tested, to determine the effectiveness of the incoming air filtration. The air temperature, relative humidity, and CO2 levels are also an important consideration for IAQ as high humidity and lower temperatures can bring about mold creation. If a room is classified as an ISO clean room or clean zone, the counts of particle sizes for that class cannot be exceeded when tested.
Refer to the ISO Clean Room Class chart (ISO 14644‐1:1999) for values. The VPC300 is equipped with a still/video camera to directly see the areas under test. Data, images, and video can be stored on up to an 8GB micro‐SD card (not included) or in the meter’s internal 74MB memory.
The life of the meter can be maximized by testing only when necessary and securely storing the instrument when it is not in use. Continuous use is not recommended and can shorten the life of the instrument especially in dusty environments. Setting up a common sense maintenance schedule and testing to the schedule will go a long way in lengthening the life of the instrument sensor.
Extech VPC300 Particle Counter
- Channels Six channels: 0.3, 0.5, 1.0, 2.5, 5.0, 10μm
- Flow Rate 0.1ft3/min (2.83L/min)
- Counting Efficiency 50% at 0.3μm; 100% for particles > 0.45μm Coincidence Loss 5% at 2,000,000 particles per ft3
- Particle Count Modes Cumulative, Differential, and Concentration modes
Air Temperature and Relative Humidity Measurements
- Air Temperature Range 32° to 122°F (0 to 50°C)
- Dew Point/Wet Bulb Temperature Range 32° to 122°F (0° to 50o°C)
- Relative Humidity Range 0 to 100%RH
- Air Temperature Accuracy ±0.9°F (0.5°C) 50° to 104°F (10°C to 40°C) ±1.8oF (1.0oC) all other ranges
- Dew Point/Wet Bulb Temperature Accuracy ±0.9°F (0.5°C) 50 to 104°F (10°C to 40°C) 1.8oF (1.0°C) all other ranges
- Relative Humidity Accuracy ±3%RH from 40 to 60%RH ±3.5%RH from 20 to 40%RH and from 60 to 80%RH ±5.0%RH from 0 to 20%RH and from 80 to 100%RH
Extech VPC300 General Specifications
- Display 2.8” 320 x 240 pixel TFT Color LCD with backlight
- Low battery indication Battery symbol appears on the LCD
- Micro‐SD Card Slot Accommodates up an 8GB card
- Meter internal memory 5000 sample records; 74MB
- Power supply Rechargeable 7.4V Lithium‐ion polymer battery
- Battery life Approx. 4 hours of continuous use
- Battery charge time 2 hours approx. with AC adaptor/charger
- Operating Temperature 32° to 122°F (0 to 50°C)
- Operating/Storage Humidity 10 to 90% RH non‐condensing
- Storage Temperature 14 to 140°F (‐10 to 60°C)
- Dimensions 9.4 x 3.0 x 2.2” (240 x 75 x 57mm)
- Weight 1.26 lbs. (570g)